<VV> Battery Tenders

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 18 21:49:43 EST 2007

Not quite, JR. A battery has an internal impedance, that while quite high,
still allows the charge to bleed off over time. So for long-term storage one
does need to either periodically throw a charger on it, or use one of the
better battery tenders to keep the battery at float voltage. This has
nothing to do with the urban legend that batteries will self-discharge if
stored on a concrete floor. The batt will slowly discharge either way. The
concrete floor has absolutely no impact on this phenomenon.

BTW, FWIW, forget the $6.99 Harbor Freight batt tenders. Buy their $15 (or
so) version. It works much better and has LEDs that tells you whether or not
it is charging. The cheaper one just has an LED that comes on whenever the
unit is either connected to the batt, or the unit is plugged in to 115VAC,
or both. Clear?? <G>
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone