<VV> Re: Battery Tenders

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 19 01:24:11 EST 2007

You're correct about the name "battery tender", but it seems like it's
becoming the generic name for these devices. Sorta like "Hoover" applies to
all vacuum cleaners. Anyway, I have one of the Sears Craftsman devices, and
curiously enough, it looks identical, except for the labels, to the last
$19.95 one I recently bought at Harbor Freight. They're both made in China,
and seem to work really well.
Also, I had a couple of responses regarding how long is "long term" storage.
Personally,
when my show cars or infrequent drivers are not being used, they sit with
"battery tenders" (float chargers) attached. That's just me, I suppose, but
batteries
definitely last longer if kept at float voltage during dormant periods.
I do the same with the boat, because golf-cart house and 8D start batteries
are expensive to replace (not to mention the strain on my back getting them
out of the engine room!), so I take extra good care of them. 12 years and
counting on these, so far. The boat charger is what they call a "smart
charger". That is, it provides a bulk charge to a depleted battery and then
switches to "float" when the batt is fully charged. These are a bit
expensive to have one for each car, though, and probably overkill in that
application as well.
As always, YMMV
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan