<VV> steering wheel play

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sat Jan 20 09:02:18 EST 2007

The typical American '60's car is supposed to have some play in the
steering wheel. But the first place I'd look if you feel it's too much
are the pitman arm and all the other rubber bushings in the steering
linkage. Normally, they are "the usual suspects" as steering gear wear
is not as common. With linkage (bushing) wear, the car will also tend to
wander and/or shimmy while being driven. Check that first.

Some steering gear wear can be compensated for, if not excessive. There
is an adjustment screw w/jamb nut on the top of the box, accessable thru
a plug in the trunk floor. Only after checking all this out should one
suspect gear wear.

-Mark