<VV> steering wheel play

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat Jan 20 09:10:09 EST 2007

I completely agree with Mark that what you are seeing is a combination
of "normal" and possibly some worn parts. I've been surprised at the
sloppy steering even on enthusiast-owned cars.

But I've seen a _great_ improvement in simply replacing the pitman arm
bushing with a nylon one (Clarks C178N). Even on cars with decent rubber
bushings. This is one of the first modifications that I do to every
Corvair I buy.

I also concur with Mark on the order to attack the issue... bushings
first, adjust the lash on the steering box, and get a good alignment (to
modern specs, not to the original specs which were for bias ply tires).
It's relatively rare that you need to replace/rebuild the 'box itself....

Bill