<VV> steering wheel play

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Jan 21 22:38:45 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Connie Brummer" <hanssmom at cox.net>
Subject: <VV> steering wheel play

, the steering wheel has about 1 ½
to 2 inches of play in it.  We've priced steering box parts from a vendor,
but I'm wondering if the play will improve enough to be worth it?  Realizing
it's a 42 year old car, should I expect it to feel "tighter"?
Connie
************
Hi, I think all the posts you have received so far are pretty much Right-On.

It is about 85% sure that your observed play is Not the steering box,
However, the steering box adjustment can be done by you and a friend who has
a skill level so that (s)he can at least put a new gasket in a water faucett
(g) ...   the directions have been given here, or read the official shop
manual ... this adjustment gives a lot of personal satisfaction, and will
take 2 people with no fear about 45 minutes.
Biggie is that the steering box will adjust tighter straight ahead than when
turned, so play with that and don[t lock it up and bend something ....

I have adjusted the boxes on only 5 LM corvairs, and in all cases have taken
out a teensy bit of play, but in no case was that the biggie that you are
looking for.

*********
In my now-gone 69 daily driver, I then did a whole ball
joint-bushing-anti-rollbar rebuild ..... plus a home sidewalk suspension
setting ... job ... never again, the " dangs" plus the blood blisters,
fainting spells, and general derision from family and friends is just not
worth it ... Next time, I will get an extra job at manual labor in a coal
mine and just pay a corvair doctor to do it ... BTW, while you are under the
car, make sure you HAVE a front anti-roll bar, otherwise your vair will
always ride like a skinny horse with a loose saddle (g).
**********
When I got done, however, the improvement was a whole bunch better ... it
wasn't the mileage on the car ( about 40K ) it was the years the rubber
bushings were exposed to the elements (  24 years then )... some were almost
missing ... the ball joints were done at the same time because it really
didn't cost that much more, they weren[t worn that much.
While you are thinking about all this, you might consider something slightly
radical .... that is :::   skipping directly to " BINGO " and contact some
of the fastvair guys ( performance obsessionists ) about going to rack and
pinion ( probably with front disk brakes !!!   )   , or at least welding
some of the floppy stock suspension together to get to a higher level of
steering delight.
You need to talk to a genuine corvair doctor about this approach, someone
who has done some of these, I mention this because it is a definite fork in
the budget road. (g) ...