<VV> steering wheel play

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 23:11:19 EST 2007

The play is somewhere between the steering wheel and the tires. The most common source of play is the bushing between the pitman arm coming out of the steering box, and the relay rod.  The gearbox itself has several potential sources of play. If the pitman arm bushing (the one in the gearbox where the pitman shaft pokes out) is worn there will be some play. If the gears themselves have worn, there will be play. Within reason, that play can be adjusted out. The proper adjustment involves backing off the adjusting screw on top, then adjusting the shaft bearing by turning the BIG nut at the forward end of the box to get just a little drag, then WITH THE STEERING CENTERED HALF WAY BETWEEN LOCKS adjust the screw on top to get just a little more drag. The worm gear is actually made to be tighter when on center, so if you do the adjustment with it off center, it will be too tight on center, possibly leading to damage. The book gives the details.

  Find a helper. One of you get under the car to watch and feel the various joints, while the other one gently wiggles the steering wheel back and forth. Careful observation will reveal where the play is. If the pitman arm doesn't move when the steering wheel is wiggled, there is play in the box. If the pitman arm moves but the relay rod doesn't, the relay rod bushing has slop, etc. etc. You can feel the play better than you can see it.

  "Connie Brummer" said:

  <<Thinking toward spring when I get the vert out of storage.  I didn’t
drive
it a lot before winter hit, but when I did, the steering wheel has
about 1 ½
to 2 inches of play in it.  We’ve priced steering box parts from a
vendor,
but I’m wondering if the play will improve enough to be worth it?
Realizing
it’s a 42 year old car, should I expect it to feel “tighter”?>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on