<VV> steering wheel play

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 01:10:05 EST 2007

Hello Connie,
One thing you might want to check is to see if your
steering wheel itself just kind of wobbles and has
play.
Mine had that issue, and of all the places, it was the
three screw inside the column, that bolt the
directional switch in, and stabilize the upper part of
the column.
I went through replacing the entire front end,
suspension and all, even the steering box was
replaced, and I still had that pay, and wobble in the
wheel. (Before anybody goes ape, I replaced everything
because I was doing a complete restore... not just for
this problem.)
Nonetheless, without moving or staring the car, see if
you can tell if the play is in the steering wheel
itself, it may save a lot of time and parts to just
tighten those three bolts. Of course, you have to
remove you steering wheel and horn parts to get to it.
Best Regards,
Danny Barber
CORSA Newbie
67 Vert named Wilma

>  "Connie Brummer" said:
>
>  <<Thinking toward spring when I get the vert out of
storage.  I
didn't
> drive
> it a lot before winter hit, but when I did, the
steering wheel has
> about 1 ½
> to 2 inches of play in it.  We've priced steering
box parts from a
> vendor,
> but I'm wondering if the play will improve enough to
be worth it?
> Realizing
> it's a 42 year old car, should I expect it to feel
"tighter"?>>