<VV> Turbo Cooling Question

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 21 08:23:01 EST 2007

HI all. Thanks to many who provided insight on the PT Cruiser and HHR's. We purchased a PT GT with the High Output 2.4 turbo engine, select shift transmission, 17" wheels, leather, etc. I'm afraid that when the boost comes in, it puts our cars to shame :-). But then, it doesn't have that great Corvair style and engineering :-). My question is on the Corvair turbo, however. The PT owners manual states that for normal driving, there is no need to let the engine idle prior to shutdown, but if you have been driving "aggressively" for a short period of time or driving with a heavy load (boy that one is open for interpretation :-), then you should let it idle for 3 minutes prior to shut down. If you have been driving aggressively for a long period of time, or towing a trailer, you should let the engine idle for 5 minutes, to allow the turbo to cool properly. I don't have a Corvair turbo owners manual handy, but did it suggest such procedures? Thanks,
Grant
PS. The Pantera is in it's last 12 hours and has met our reserve, so if you want at good deal you better jump in. It is at only $30,100 right now.

Grant Young
Wolf Enterprises