<VV> Turbo Cooling Question

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sun Jan 21 08:57:43 EST 2007

Congrats Grant... people that haven't seen (in person) or driven your
Pantera simply can't imagine the type of car it is... I'm shocked that
your reserve was so low... this will be a real steal for somebody.

Congrats also on the Turbo PT... if it's lacking anything, power isn't
on that list. That car will scoot!

Newer turbos are water cooled (and some even have water circulating
pumps that continue to run when the engine is shut off). This combined
with synthetic oil (which doesn't coke up when cooked around the turbo
bearing) means that cool downs are not nearly as critical....but still a
good idea if you have had the turbo very hot.

Owner's manuals for turbo cars of the last three decades or so have all
had this advice... and for non-water cooled turbos it was absolutely
critical.... but I don't recall ever seeing it in a Corvair owner's
manual. They possibly didn't realize how important it was at the time...

Bill