<VV> No Corvair - advice?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Jan 21 17:24:55 EST 2007

At 07:16 AM 1/21/2007, BBRT wrote:
>If GM and Chrysler would ever get their heads out and try and catch
>up to the Mustang...... (w/ Challenger and Camaro)... Nothing like
>bringing your best stuff to a fight where the outcome is no longer
>in doubt...  Can you say, "A day late and a dollar short"?

Add to this the fact that DC is gonna be asking a serious price for
the new Challenger.    Too much, IMHO, for it to be a threat to
anything.   The  best thing about the new Challenger is that it at
least has only 2 doors (in spite of the rhetoric preached by
Chrysler's design market/manager Trevor Creed a couple years ago, who
for all the world reminded me of Terry McAullife in the way he was so
confident in every move he made...  like initially announcing that
Chrysler was going to continue with FWD and 4 doors with *all* its
cars, in SPITE of a growing dissatisfaction in a large market segment
with 4-door cars...  and then Bang comes the 300, followed shortly by
the "Charger" albeit both were still 4-door cars.    While the 300
was a hit, the new "Charger" caught a lot of flak from traditional
performance car fans who expected this new car bearing the sacred
name "Charger" to have more in common with its legacy than what
Daimler-Chrysler laid on us, courtesy of Trevor's mandated 4-door
sedan platform.    Creed also dropped the ball with the Crossfire
project, claiming that it would fill a niche for which no US car
offered a candidate.   Maybe there was a reason...

Elitists in Europe may well spend a boatload of money on small glitzy
fanatically overpriced obscure sports cars, but here stateside the
consumers stayed away in big crowds.    Trevor likely explained its
failure as caused by its not being FWD... ;)  ...and too few doors.

While Mustangs were selling out, and Ford was having to start running
overtime and 3rd shifts to keep up with demand, customers for the new
Dodge were slow in warming up to the latest "performance" Mopar which
in fact was the first real standard design performance car that
Chrysler had produced since the last Volare  based Roadrunner in the
mid-1970s.

Trevor maintained his 4-door mandates so vehemently that people began
to wonder how long before DC would introduce a 4-door Viper.    This
seems to have changed with the new Challenger... along with
clandestine rumblings from dark and mysterious circles within
Chrysler that there's a notion being discussed to eventually redesign
the LX platform basis for the "Charger" so as to make it a
2-door.    Not likely to come to fruition (IF it ever does) for
several years so that DC can milk as much as possible from the
tooling currently in place.

All the while, DC's beancounters (of which Creed was one) kept
following the dollar's bottom line instead of listening to what
consumers wanted.   Like GM which insisted on 4-door everythings,
they chased a lot of customers to imports which not only did supply
them with a coupe, the product was usually cheaper as well.

People wondered why sales were down.    Ford, meanwhile, made the
most of their Mustang which had maintained at least some of its
legacy the entire time.   So far, the new retro Mustang has sold
close to a half-million examples while the DC effort ("Charger")
remains a distant 2nd.

Now:   The new Dodge has some excellent engineering and the new Hemi
engine is a real tire burner that still manages to squeak some
mileage...  but the Mustang gives that percentage of the people with
a sports coupe addiction what they want... in the form of a sleek
muscular 2-door coupe that looks like a performance car.

The Challenger is a slow to appear competitor... not because certain
design & marketing people among Chrysler weren't interested, but
because the suits in the top floor offices weren't.   It took the
success of the Mustang to convince them.   GM was even slower to
catch up, in SPITE of Bob Lutz and his rants about the blunders and
goofs they'd been committing the entire time.    Among the first
things he said when hired on was that GM blundered when the killed
off their RWD platforms for the Impala and Roadmaster etc, as well as
having turned their only ponycar into an expensive inefficient
wannabe which seemed to draw more inspiration from Rice than from
Beef... as well as pricing the car out of range of those who would
have wanted it most, whom the car was originally marketed for in the
first place.

The gist of all this is that US car makers have gotten so far behind
rational decisionmaking that it's now turning into a frantic catch-up
exercise, crippled by unions and obsolete logistics and plain bad
policies.    Even though the engineering has become quite advanced,
there are still some serious faults in the system which do nothing
for regaining the confidence of the US consumer...  such as the new
Dodge "Charger", filled with technology, which still weighs over two
tons in spite of its being smaller than any of its original
forebears.    In their infinite wisdom, DC chose this same LX
platform for every RWD car they intend to make for the next several
years.   The LX is a RWD variant of the LH...  which is sorely in
need of an update.   ...and a diet.

Picture a new Dodge Challenger that weighs two tons...   when DC
finally announced that they were gonna produce the new Challenger,
Mopar fans everywhere perked up with High Hopes.    Now that the car
is on the way and soon to appear on showroom floors, more and more
people are finding out that it's not gonna be cheap, it's not gonna
be light, and it's not gonna be built in the numbers the Mustang is.

...why do I keep thinking that the Camaro is not going to be much
different?

The Camaro is still a question mark.   What will it sell for?   Can
people afford it?

Ahh...  automobiles...  what would we do without them?

tony..