<VV> More non-Corvair advice

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 16:26:53 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/21/2007 11:29:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

as well  as
having turned their only ponycar into an expensive inefficient
wannabe which seemed to draw more inspiration from Rice than from
Beef... as well as pricing the car out of range of those who would
have wanted it most, whom the car was originally marketed for in the
first place.

Which car are you identifying with this comment?  If it is the 4th Gen
Camaro, you are off base. All pony cars moved up to that price ($16,000 base) at
about the same time, and the Camaro offered a lot more than the mustang, both
in  styling and performance. The Camaro didn't have enough appeal to the
Secretaries  who bought the base Mustangs, and the V8s were pricey, but offered much
more  performance and handling than then Mustang at the same level - (V8 from
Chevy  vs. V8 from Ford). SLP SSs and Saleens were in their own worlds. My
1996 V6  Camaro, about $16,800 out the door, offered things that a V6 Mustang
owner could  only dream about. My car had 200HP, posi, 4-wheel discs, fast
steering and  HD suspension, and enough luxury for me. And I regularly trashed the
V8 Mustangs  and many V8 Camaros, at the Autocross courses. It has been pretty
bulletproof,  for a car raced throughout it life, now, at 120K miles, a new
power steering  pump is on the list, and I put a clutch in at 95K. It has never
leaked, never  stranded me, and the paint looks as shiny at the day I bought
it. I don't  remember any recalls, and the styling makes the newest Mustang
look bloated - as  bloated as they were in 1967. Downsides - Hmm, poor
headlights, corrected in  1998, to the detriment of the styling. Ride quality (adding
aftermarket Konis  didn't help either <grin>) Otherwise, it is still a fun car
to drive and  gets 30 MPG on the highway, about the same as my C6 Vette, but
much better than  the Vette around town. It had, of course, no "Rice" appeal at
all. Still  doesn't. I do understand the business decision in retro-ing back
to the 1969  Camaro in the new-next-year model. I won't be buying one, but
that is okay.  Let's see what the base model costs and how it performs vs. my
"oldie" 1996. -  Seth Emerson