<VV> Turbo Cooling Question

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Jan 21 23:57:03 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Elliott" <corvair at fnader.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Turbo Cooling Question

Congrats Grant... people that haven't seen (in person) or driven your
Pantera simply can't imagine the type of car it is... I'm shocked that
your reserve was so low... this will be a real steal for somebody.
*************
Yep, I had a couple of buddies that had these back in the 70's , and they
were regarded as slightly a pain in the rear (g).... in the reliability
dept. .......maybe kinda like  corvairs ...
........looking back, however, what a machine at that price .....
***************
re: cool down warning:
but I don't recall ever seeing it in a Corvair owner's
manual. They possibly didn't realize how important it was at the time...
************
Maybe they, like me, never found it possible to spool the turbo up long
enough to heat up the unit much ... the engine starts to catch on fire
before the turbo get's that hot ....   in my 2 or 3 years that I ran my
stocker 180 much, I don[t think I ever could stay on the boost over 3 or 5
seconds ... either because the speedometer or the head temp gauge went way
too far to the right (g) ....
........ and then we bot an Eeeegle Talon for my wife, and I felt like a
mangy whipped dog caught out of the pack   ... ... I now recommend all
street vairs stay with a decent 90 or 100 horse small valve engine with a
4800 rpm rev limiter and concentrate on the handling and the wax job ...  I
have found that one of the best parts of having had a 66 180 turbo is lying
about them to those other 500,000 people who claim to have had one ... (g)
Anyone know if Hertz or Avis etc. will rent a Turbo-PTCruiser? (g) ...
might make a good spring break tripper down to Lower Ohio in a month or so