<VV> Early Spyder fuel return

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Mon Jan 22 07:49:01 EST 2007

Hi all.

	I was off this weekend and didn't get my chance to fill the bit
bucket...  First of all, I'm not sure anybody answered Jim B's question.
To properly install a pressure regulator (low pressure, like the Clark's
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=MAIN&s
ection=MAIN&page=65 )
You need to put it in line with the fuel line exiting the filter and
entering the carb.  My reason was for chronic flooding at idle which I
got even though I had a healthy fuel return line and even used another
vendor's heavy duty float valve.
	I experimented by setting the regulator to MAX and idling,
turning the regulator down until flooding ceased.  (Ironically, it's set
at 3psi like the picture on the Clark's page). I run a "non standard"
distributor and carb and those may add to my particular situation.
	So, did Chevy install the fuel return line to prevent vapor lock
or remove static pressure from the wimpy float valve?  All I can tell
you is that I have only experienced the latter and not the former.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA