<VV> RE: Corvettes> Not so fast, G.I.!

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Tue Jan 23 06:34:06 EST 2007

From: ChiefTAM at aol.com
Subject: Re: <VV> Corvettes> Not so fast, G.I.!

Don't know if I agree with all of this.  I have owned and driven Fords  and
Chevys.  I bought a 77 L82 Corvette new, loaded with everything, for
$9598.00
and for the day, it was reasonable in power and average in  economy.  I now
own a new C6.  Fantastic car.  Fast, Powerful,  Efficient!  You can buy a
new
base 2007 Vette, which is a dang good car,  for under $40,000.00 which is
the
best performance bang for the buck you will  find.  My C6 costs me less to
insure than my Ford F250 or our Hyundia  Sonata, at $331.00 for six months.
I kept
hearing on BJ that you could by  a Mustang Shelby, that isn't near the car
C6 is, for something over  $36,000.00, if you can find one for that.  Now,
given a choice between a  Mustang GT - Shelby and a Corvette, with a
difference
of less than $4000.00, I  would come up with the extra cash and pick the
Vette
everytime.  I think a  lot of people would.  Where the Mustang comes in is
the
$20,000.00 base V6  models that young ladies and 50-something buy.  Not a
bad
car, but that  gives Ford the volume.

Just my .02

Todd in TX

In 1978 my grandfather purchased a new 78 Corvette, the fit and finish was
horrible, had the entire car repainted twice under warranty silver paint
was the worse orange peel I ever saw. If it held fluids..........it leaked.
The day we picked it up, the drivers side power window went off track and
fell into the door, before we left the lot. I wanted to refuse the car,
dealer said fine with them, forfeit the deposit and they'll sell it to
someone else.
The car spent more time at the dealers than it did in my grandfather's
possession. This was before the lemon laws. Once warranty was up, it fell
to me to fix everything that went wrong................I hated the car!
When he bought the car, my grandfather gave me his 73 -Bird, which I still
have. When my grandfather went into a nursing home, my rich uncle got the
Vette signed over to him and made a point of telling me that "I wasn't
going to get that car." I just laughed, that vette still is in my uncles
possession and is the biggest money pit I have ever seen.....

One of the reasons I say that the Corvair was the last good GM car ever
made..........and I helped restore a 67 Vette, body off frame, every nut
and bolt. That was a fairly decent car............but any vette newer than
that, I* have no interest in.

Gary Swiatowy