<VV> Starting Problem

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 09:28:49 EST 2007

Hello Bill,
I believe Andy is on to something there.
I had noticed that my choke springs were kind of
weak(40 years old, what a shock!) They didn't have the
spring they should have.
So, the one thing that made my car start up and idle
down at the proper times, better, was completely
replacing those choke thermostat springs mounted on
the bottom of the engine. (The part the lower choke
rods go into.) In your case, and mine, Bill, we only
have 2 of them to replace, being they are 110's, and
have only 2 carbs.
You have to drop the lower shroud plates, and
sometimes the drivers side exhaust log. I was able to
replace the passengers side without dropping the log,
but I have small hands.
This takes a few hours to do, and believe it or not I
would keep your original lower choke rods(Clean if
needed) because the repro's have a shorter foot, and
can drop off after you got everything back together...
I learned the hard way, so I put the original lowers
back on.
I know Clark's has these, and are rather reasonable,
and exact repro's, so no worries about fitting
correctly.
Bill, if you decide to do this, email me and I will
give you some other pointers to make it easier.
Although, the hardest part was the lower shroud
removal, and unhooking the bellows rods, and
reconnecting them. Before you do this, make sure you
don't need replacement clips for those bellows rods,
as you can order them along with the new choke
thermostats.(Save on time and shipping)
I found a huge noticeable difference in the 40 year
old    choke therm.springs, and the new ones. Of
course, I was told few go to this lengths, and replace
these... But, think about it, your 69 is 38 years old,
my 67 is 40,,,, these springs are tired, at best.
Hope this helps any, it sure helped Wilma, a lot.
Danny Barber
67 Vert
CORSA Newbie
Andy Clark Wrote:

Sounds like the choke is set too light as well.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60
Bill H. Wrote:
                                     B"H
> Hi all.  I'm wondering why I need to "pump" my gas
> pedal a number of times before Susie will start.
> Usually two pumps will start her just fine if she's
> been run within a day, and if it's not too cold.
> However, if she's left in the garage for a long
> weekend and if it's cold outside, I will pump the
gas,
> she'll sputter, I'll pump twice more, she'll start
and