<VV> EM Heater Time

Devin devin at valleyautomotivesupply.com
Thu Jan 25 00:50:18 EST 2007

Having been a Chevy guy forever, but a Corvair owner for only the last 2
years, I am in need of some information on EM heater systems.  I have
several symptoms, likely related, but I=92m not sure which to tackle =
first.
We bought the 63 with 68,000 original miles and mostly I=92ve had to do
nothing besides drive it and routine maintenance.

=20

1.	Mediocre heat.  I=92ve seen several say that their heaters work =
great,
as I would suspect they should. =20

=20

2.	Recently, it started blowing some brown insulation looking stuff out
of the driver=92s side defrost vent.  Shortly after that, while trying =
to move
the lever(which didn=92t want to move) it =93popped.=94  I assume it =
came off the
end of the cable.  I=92ve looked in the assembly manual, but it is =
unclear to
me where the actual cutoff is to separate between feet or dash vents.=20

=20

3.	When I turn on the heat or air to defrost the windshield, which is
stuck about halfway between floor and defrost the window immediately =
fogs
and stays that way for about 10 miles.  Granted, I=92m not getting much =
heat
out, but I=92m wondering if there is a place where moisture would get =
into the
system.  I drive it 20 miles each way to and from work, and it never =
does
come even close to clearing the windows.  I keep a squeegee on hand so I =
can
see where I=92m going.  The driver=92s side will nearly clear by the =
end, but
the passenger side only makes a small area, maybe 6 inches across by 3-4
inches high clear directly above the vent.  The rear window does leak, =
which
keeps the rear carpet wet, but I wouldn=92t think this would get into =
the
heater (maybe I=92m wrong?)  The rear vents in front of the back seat =
don=92t
seem to blow open even with the blower on high.=20

=20

4.	Final question:  I=92m getting drafts from what seems to be the fresh
air vent area, however it is difficult to determine exactly where from =
while
driving.  This is with the vents completely closed (by the knob at =
least.)
I=92ve read talk of resealing vents, could they be leaking air?  Or is =
there
another likely suspect?=20

=20

Thanks to any and all for responses.  There is a vast base of knowledge =
on
this list and I hope I can help others someday.

=20

I am ASE certified and spend my days turning wrenches, but these cars =
are
unfamiliar to me.  I=92d rather ask a few questions than spend days =
chasing
ghosts.

=20

Devin =20