<VV> Young Corvair Owners

jrg478 at aol.com jrg478 at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 21:12:51 EST 2007

I have a seen several postings here and comments in the Communique regarding young people in CORSA and owning Corvairs. I thought I would share my story and thoughts:

My wife and I are 28 and 30 years old. We bought a Marina Blue '67 Monza Coupe last year; we also unexpectedly bought a '66 Monza Sedan with our 67 when the same seller told us he would scrap it or strip it for parts. We have since found a home for the '66 with a co-worker of mine and our '67 is running strong. We have also become close friends with another Corvair owner in our area and are now in the process of trying to organize a CORSA Chapter.

When I found our Corvair, I knew I had to have it - I told the Corvair story to my wife and we decided to take the plunge, despite already having another collector car. There is something more to owning and driving a Corvair. It makes a statement - there is so much of America and what was once our awesome automotive industry behind that car. What other company, in what other country would have continued to build a car, at a loss, with a separate assembly line with the best employees just to prove someone and a myth wrong?  I love it when people tell me it's unsafe - they leave that conversation wishing they never said anything (I am a lawyer by trade and I have no sympathy for Mr. Nader or his "theories" - but thanks for the extra three years, Ralph).

When I was 23, I bought my first classic, a '68 Mercury Montego Convertible (another forgotten classic). Despite that car being extremely blue and big, we get more waves, more looks and more thumbs up in the Corvair! More people actually engage us about the Corvair rather than just saying "nice car." A few weekends ago, we had some unexpected 70 degree weather up here in Western Massachusetts. We had three Corvairs in the driveway - our '67, the '66 and our friend's '62 Wagon. I have had many people walk by our driveway when my cars have been out, but on that Saturday almost everyone, from all ages, came to a complete stop and looked at the three Corvairs - and then smiled. There is something about these cars.

I think the Corvair is a perfect car for an entry level car in the classic car hobby. Thus, perfect for the younger owner. It is affordable not only to purchase, but to repair and operate. Us younger owners are out there - we just need a forum to meet and we need to get our cars out there and give younger people a chance to get close to them and see that a flat six is no more difficult to work on than a small block V8.

I would encourage CORSA to do what it can to find younger members. But at the same time, we are still fighting 40 years of "Unsafe at any Speed." This means that to the classic car novice, a Mustang, Camaro or Nova (which caused Corvair's downfall in the first place) will always look better to someone who has an interest in classic cars, but doesn't understand the unique characteristics of the Corvair. Those cars rival Corvair's parts supply and depending on condition, its purchase price. We need to overcome those obstacles before Corvair becomes as popular. I think the best way is to let Corvair sell itself - it did it 40 years ago (when GM tried to sell it) and it can do it again. Get your Corvair out there!

But this time it has one thing that other cars don't have - the dedication, the belief and commitment to keeping Ed Cole's dream on the road that Corvair owners have: "A most unusual car for people who enjoy the unusual."

Happy Motoring!

Jay and Pamela Green