<VV> JEEP OBD II Question... NO CORVAIR

bjornyesterday bjornyesterday at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 08:11:59 EST 2007

List Members,

I need help with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 6 cyl, auto trans and
4-wheel drive.  It has 75,000 miles showing, but it was towed behind
a motor home before I bought it and the driven mileage is about
20,000.  About a week ago I noticed a slight miss at idle, and low
RPM that seemed to go away at higher RPM.  This went on for several
days and then the "Check Engine" light came on and stayed on.  My
questiion is:  Do I need to buy a code reader to plug into the OBD II
socket under the dash, or is there a way to short out the socket and
get the check engine light to blink and give up the code?  Also,
would my FLAPS have code books for sale or do I have to go to a Jeep
Dealer?  This is my first experience with OBD II.

Sorry for the Non-Corvair question, but this list has so many
mechanics I wanted to ask before I did something stupid.

Thanks in advance,
Andy Anderson

The road to a friend's house is never long.