<VV> Sliderules:

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 29 17:50:05 EST 2007

For all you younger guys, let me give you a bit of timeline -- When I
graduated from Oregon State (with an engineering major) in 1970, we were
still using sliderule techniques for calculations, but the the incoming
freshmen for 1971 were required to have this $300+ HP (those were 1970
dollars, and a term's tuition was substantially less than that). It was
the next year or so that we bought a TI SR-10 (it did square roots, but
no memory) (and in our case, those particular batteries are long gone).

So, the moral of the story? -- Calculators must have caused the demise
of the Corvair   <ho, ho>, or maybe it is just the type of people that
use calculators ...

Sorry for the interruption, but sometimes it is still nice to be able to
calculate caster, piston displacement, etc from measurements without
having to go get fresh batteries or boot up the shop computer ...

Bill Strickland