<VV> Shift Tube

RUSSELL DAVIS bluechipmach at verizon.net
Wed Jan 31 08:34:03 EST 2007

The lapping compound will wash off easily when flushed good with a oil based cleaning solvent. Been using lapping compound for years in all sorts of applications. Works better than a file and hammer in a lot of cases. The biggest problem that I have had is forcing the parts you are trying to lap, esp when fitting a threaded part! Don't force too much and don't let them get too warm. Wash often and quit before the part get to fit that you are looking for! When the fit is a little "snug" for your taste,generally you will find when cleaned,the fit be be just right. This is especially true for threaded parts.
  Back to lurking
  Russ Davis

Ron <ronh at owt.com> wrote:
  Lapping compound on brass isn't a good idea as it tends to stay there
forever and will keep lapping the shift rod. At least, that's as I
understand it.
RonH