<VV> Turbo alignment

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 21:58:34 EDT 2007

Question for all you turbo-heads.   I'm assembling a 180 turbo engine (on
the engine stand) and after putting all the turbocharger stuff together I
note that it doesn't sit square to the engine, the air cleaner end is more
than an inch rearward compared to the turbo end of the assembly.  This puts
the air cleaner bracket about midway between the front-most cylinder head
shroud bolt and the next one back.  I've loosened the turbocharger stand and
shifted things as far as they will go to no avail.  Although my turbo stand
looks perfect (not bent or misshapen), I substituted another identical stand
and the result was identical.  Any idea what's going on here?  Am I right in
thinking that the air cleaner bracket should go onto the LF corner cylinder
head bolt and that the turbo should be mounted square to the engine?

Thanks in advance,

Craig Nicol