<VV> Latest Late Update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 4 17:27:28 EDT 2007

	Today I woke up at 6:30 and competed the install of the wires for
the CHT's and connected them to the dial in the cabin although I
still don't have it mounted under the dash yet.  I was disappointed
to find out it doesn't have an internal light (#%^&).  I changed
tired fuel line connections on the crossover tube where it connects
to the carbs, installed the air cleaners, connected them to each
other and then to the oil bath cleaner.  I then tried to start the
car to run it at 2000 rpm for fifteen minutes in the garage before
changing the oil and also to check the connections for the CHT's.  It
started for about three seconds before cutting out. It wouldn't start
again.
	I tried recharging the battery (had accidentally left the dome light
on for about three hours).  That didn't work.  I tried removing the
carb filter assembly.  That didn't work.   I then, remembered what
you had always said.  You need fire, fuel, and air.  I knew I was
getting fire because it turned over for three seconds.  I figured it
was getting enough air.  I tried pouring a little gas down the
carbs.  It started right up... and then promptly died again.  Ah ha.
I went to the front and turned on the ignition.  NO Electric Fuel
Pump action.  I looked under the car and sure enough, I had separated
one of it's wires in the installation of the CHTs' wires.  I
reconnected them and varroom.
	I then ran the car for the required fifteen minutes.  I placed five
super magnets on the end of the oil filter to (hopefully) catch as
much ferrous debris as possible.  At the end of the test, the oil
temp had reached 220 and stabilized and the heads never went over
210.  After lunch, I drained the oil, changed the filter (plastic bag
over the filter works great), installed the new filter and added new
oil, topped off the tranny fluid and took that bad baby for a little
drive at 2:15.  I couldn't go far, though, as my wife was leaving for
work, and I do not have back seat seat belts installed (have them on
hand) in order to put in my son's baby chair.
	I did have a great time though.  Someone was in their driveway in
front of their house when I passed.  He did a double take, smiled and
waved.  I love that sort of thing when it happens.   I believe the
head temp got to 275 or there abouts.  Everything is looking, working
great.  I'm planning an extended drive tomorrow morning before the
wife and boy wake up...he, he, he.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, rust
free, w/ 77K