<VV> Re: hand controls and stick shift

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Jul 5 23:36:49 EDT 2007

My former AC Acedes was designed and build as an all hand-control
vehicle (by the British National Health Service who issued them to
people who needed them). It was a four speed manual (and four reverse
gears as well since for reverse you simply restarted the 2 stroke engine
backwards). In fact, it was designed to operate the majority of controls
with one hand (the right hand only used to shift gears, operate signals,
etc).

The control was a single motorcycle type handlebar. Push forward to turn
right, pull back for left, push down for brakes. The throttle was a
motorcycle type twist grip with the same hand operating a motorcycle
type lever for the clutch. I never got my frozen engine rebuilt, but I'm
sure it would have been a handful (literally) to drive in traffic... but
they were in use for a few decades in a similar configuration.

http://fnader.com/ACAceces_in.JPG

(To the right are the gear shift, parking brake, and reversing lever)

With modern electronics and solenoids, I'd think something similar could
be worked up for a conventional manual shift car...

Bill