<VV> hand controls and stick shift

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 6 02:19:07 EDT 2007

Replying to myself....  I do that in REAL life too.  <GRIN>

I had misread Scotty's comment.  It is the Rt leg which is troublesome, so
we (might) need a hand operated throttle control and a power assist on the
brake pedal.  Perhaps a "throttle grip" attached to the shift lever or to
the steering column just below the wheel (as more or less suggested by Bill
Elliott) would take care of the fuel control?

My first "antique" car - in about 1960 or so - was a 1936 Ford.  That car
had both the "normal" skinny pedal AND a hand throttle which was a rod you
pulled toward you from the dash.  You could use either to control fuel.
There were two "pull outs" - one for throttle and one for choke.

A funny story on that is that my Dad was a close friend of the Ford dealer
in town and I recall a story he (car dealer) told about the hand throttle
when he first saw my car.  It seems that one of the local farmers (years
before) who lived a few miles out of town was constantly coming in to have
the hand throttle replaced.  After a few of them, they asked him just how it
was that he was breaking so many.  His answer... "When I head for town, I
just pull it all the way out and bend it over to hold it in place."  I
sometimes think that this eventually became "cruise control" on more modern
cars.

Later, JR