<VV> hand controls and stick shift

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Fri Jul 6 13:39:18 EDT 2007

Here is  a picture of the controls we installed in my friends sedan.

http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/images/Host/Handcontrols.jpg

To clarify, brakes are activated by pushing IN, and throttle by pulling
Down.   Engine is a 140 PG.     Car remains completely driveable with
normal controls.    I drove it ~1800 miles to California and back myself
after the install and it was actually pretty comfortable to use them when
my foot got tired.

I reinforced the brake pedal due to the slight side load imparted by the
arm.   Then drilled and bolted the arm to it.
The leverage is sufficient that brakes can easily be applied, power brakes
are not necessary.

The accelerator setup was not too complicated, but took  a few
adjustments  and some fabricated parts for the
Vair.

The controls we used (and almost all  others out there) clip on the
rod at the top of
the accelerator, since most cars the accelerator the pivot is at the
top, and the pedal hangs down.   Since the pivot is on the other side
of the pedal in the vair, this provided nearly zero throw at the pedal.
I welded a shaft
extension to the back of the pedal for the control to bolt to.   Then with
Matt's
idea,
I made a arm to extend the throw from the controls themselves.     This
provided the needed range of motion.  See arrow:

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/download.php?66616,10677/HC2r.JPG

Then I had to make a new shaft and
tube for the slip coupling that the accelerator gets operated by.  The one
the controls had was too short and did not have enough movement.
  This way the accelerator can be used normally, but does not move the
controls.

To me setting a standard up for that seems like a LOT more work for not
much gain, but that is just my opinion.

The original article can be seen in PDF form for a bit longer at:
http://www.unm.edu/~jimp/Month06.pdf

-Geoff Johnson