<VV> Engine transplant

Mike Shank mike.shank at juno.com
Fri Jul 6 01:09:45 EDT 2007

Mike-
Follow Mark's advice (below) and make absolutely certain that you have
the correct (shorter) length bolts for the torque converter flex plate.
Trust me, it is a "VERY BAD THING" to use the longer bolts that hold the
flywheel to the crankshaft (from the 4-spd setup) - even if you may have
just removed them from those same holes on the end of the crankshaft just
a little while ago, DONT PUT THEM BACK IN!  I'd recommend bagging them
and fastening the bag to the "discarded" flywheel as soon as you remove
it.

Note that if you do happen to make this tragic error and actually fully
torque the long bolts (from the flywheel) w/ the torque converter flex
plate without realizing the damage you are doing to the timing gear on
the other side of the crankshaft flange, you'll figure it out after
you've joined the diff to the engine and try to rotate the crankshaft to
install the converter-to-flex plate bolts - it'll go a little ways back
and forth - almost 1/6th of a rotation (there are 6 bolts, you do the
geometry :-).  Please don't ask how I know this - and while you're at it,
don't ask about the absolutely sick feeling you get when you tear it all
back apart and see the damage that you just did to the timing gear!

BUT - and there's no guarantee here - with judicious use of a dremel tool
and a lot of patience, it is possible to "erase" the damage to the gears
(that's misleading - you actually have to erase the mangled part of the
teeth on the timing gears) and still have enough of the teeth left for
several years and many thousands of miles of spirited driving.  It also
helps to have an expert nearby (like Jeff at the Corvair Ranch) to coach
you thru the process and convince you that "it will probably work just
fine" - which, amazingly enough in my case, it did!
-Mike Shank