<VV> First extended drive

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 6 09:21:16 EDT 2007

	I took the Monza out yesterday for a little morning drive and to get
the state inspection sticker.  I also wanted to give the new CHTs a
real world examination.  The car is a little mushy in the springs.
Maybe it's the car or maybe I'm just used to the sport suspension on
my Probe GT.  It wasn't unpleasant, just a little "Cadillacy" for my
tastes.  The car has plenty of off the line power although I haven't
gone past 3/4 throttle.  I took it on the highway and drove about
fifteen miles.  The oil temp evened out at about 220 and the head
temps stayed at 260 and remained very steady.
	I received a lot of interest and comments on the car from the
attendants at the inspection stations.  I had to go to three before I
found one that had a working computer (storms here in Texas had
knocked them out).  No one had any negative comments, everyone was
either reminiscing about at time when they owned one themselves, or
totally dumfounded about the technology because they had never seen
one (mostly trying to compare it to a [ugh] VW.  I pointed out that
it is more like a Porche than a "bug".
	As I drove home on the city streets, the CHTs' would respond almost
immediately to a change in grade.  As I would go uphill and the
engine worked harder, the CHTs' readings would climb within a second
or two.  BTW, I connected the gauge using telephone wire.  It's
perfect.  It's the same wire size as the leads provided from Westach,
it has the four wires necessary for the four connections on the dial,
and they're sheathed from the engine compartment to the cabin.  I
have the cold connections (the connection between the CHTs' lead and
the wire to the cabin) located in the engine compartment right next
to the battery.  That allowed me to use one of the left over holes
for the fuel line fire wall plug to route the wire.
	Now, if I can get the seat belt conundrum figured out, I'll take the
family for a drive.

BTW, 77,700 miles as I was leaving the house.  Good luck?  You bet
your sweet bippy.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, rust
free, w/ 77K