<VV> First extended drive

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 6 15:04:05 EDT 2007

Hi Stephen, Firstly, congratulations on the rebirth of your Corvair
and now, the thrill of being able to finally drive it.
Remember that the Corvair has a 108" wheelbase and that a rear engine
car tends to feel different than anything
else on the road. The mushy feel may be a natural reaction to a
different type ride. When I would drive my 1965
Convertible (Maderia) I would think that it was a bit mushy and
leaned quite a bit compared to Darth Vair. However
the convertible would handle quite well even on bias ply tires. Many
people gave the same handling description to
older Alfa Romeos but they were among the best handling cars of their
era. Just a different approach to the same
objective. Give the Corvair a few more drives and get use to it.
Right now you are "looking" for any and all problems
which is as it should be, but when you relax and drive the car
because you just want a driving experience........THEN
is when you will really start to enjoy the nuances and uniqueness of
the Corvair. Been there and done that. I never
drove a Corvair until 1991, never owned one and now love the concept
from daily driver to show car to Greenbrier to
grassroots autocrosser/race car.

Chuck Armer

CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
CORSA Member