<VV> First extended drive, now PG gremlin

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 8 10:28:22 EDT 2007

	It has a new east coast modulator.  Have checked the connections on
the vacuum at the modulator, at the connection at the firewall, and
the crossover tube.  Everything is in order and TIGHT.  The idle
speed is maybe a little low.   I'm making this assumption by "ear".
The car acts like it wants to almost stall when put in gear.    The
PG has not been worked on, and so someone leaving out the down-shift
timing valve, or installing it upside down is low on the things to
check.
	I'm on my way to purchase a vacuum gauge in order to check the
vacuum pressures.  I thought that I would try the Sea Foam also just
in case it is just gummed up - has been sitting for fifteen years.
	The Service Manual on page 7-32 it says that " As special linkage is
not used to actuate the transmission TV, refer to Section 6M of this
Manual for the adjustment procedures"  When I go to that section, for
the life of me, I can't find any information on TV adjustment
procedures.  Also on page 7-54 and 55 it gives the vacuum normal
readings, shift points etc.  It also says "Two pressure tap plugs in
the front pump cover are accessible via holes in the engine front
mount; front pump pressure is at the 6 o'clock position and  throttle
valve (TV) pressure is at the 8 o'clock position".  What side (driver/
passenger) are they located.  I can't find that info in the manual.
I would like to try the above solutions before tearing into the
transmission looking for band adjustments and/or broken springs.

As a refresher, the shift up point is a little eager as it shifts to
drive early in the normal expected shift schedule as listed on page
7-55, and it kicks when shifting to low when coming to a stop around
10-15 mph and SEEMS more pronounced as the engine warms.  More
observations needed.  I think I'll take it to go get the gauge and
Sea Foam. ggg

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, rust
free, w/ 77K