<VV> What's The Difference

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 18:09:47 EDT 2007

Hi Jim,
Please see below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 7/10/2007 10:25:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
alias_unknown_2004 at yahoo.com writes:

Sorry,  on the second question i meant what was the difference between the
CARBS on  the 98 hp and the 80?

Jim Danner <alias_unknown_2004 at yahoo.com>  wrote:  ...between the 98 hp
engine and the 102 hp engine? What did the  GM engineers do to squeeze out the
extra 4 horses?
This has never been clearified by Chevrolet. The specs they released have
not indicated just what was done, if anything. It was probably the Marketing
dept. that made the improvements.

What was the difference between the 102 hp engine and the  standard 80 hp?
(The 61 Shop Manual mentions a difference but doesn't go into  detail.)

Well, I'm assuming you already know about jet sizes so the only other known
difference is in the venturi clusters. Also the early carbs were different
than  the late carbs in more than just the removal of the external vents. See my
book,  Corvair Rochester Carburetors for more information.

Thanks,

Jim