<VV> Rear Alignment Question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 21:58:44 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/13/2007 3:23:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

The  Corvair rear suspension is designed to have some
compliance  provided  by the four rubber bushings. Nylon ones have no
compliance and
will   eventually cause a failure.

Regards,
Bob  Helt

I'm not sure the situation is quite that "dire".  I have seen years of  use
on the Nylon units. But I do not recommend Nylon at the outside end - either
end, for that matter. The newly available poured Urethane - available in a
couple of different hardnesses - are much better for the street, and the Heim
joints, like Andy is running, are great "for racing only". Some have used Nylon
on the inner pivot and rubber on the outside, that helps withstand the
inevitable deterioration of the inner rubber by oil. (Please, no letters) but  the
Urethane solves both issues and leaves some needed compliance. If you are
running the hard nulon in the front bushing of the trailing arm, you will likely
need no stabilizer arms at all. The nylon should positively locate as a
pivot (for better or worse) the trailing arm.  Also, if you run full  nylon on the
rear, make sure your dental insurance is paid up!  - Seth  Emerson