<VV> 1964 YH choke adjustment

Kerry and jan B deaconone at teleweb.net
Sun Jul 15 15:24:44 EDT 2007

Preface: I have the shop manuals..still having a problem.

I had this carb rebuilt and it works fine except for one issue that I
can't seem to resolve. Hopefully  someone can take some time to help me out.

While the choke closes properly when the engine is cold, there is no
fast idle and the car will promptly stall when taking ones foot of the
gas pedal. I took a look at the linkage and it seems to set the fast
idle until you start the engine when it returns to the warm engine
position.  The fast idle link sits on the high point on the fast idle
cam in the choke housing, but moves to the mid point in rotation upon
starting the engine.  I 'think' that action is dependent on the action
of the choke coil and the vacuum pulling on the  choke piston in a sort
of balancing action between the two. (((???))) No amount of rotating the
choke cover will give me a high idle function.

The choke plate sits properly when the engine is cold and seems to open
to the proper point when the engine starts. The choke opens fully when
the engine is warm/hot. Unloader operation/adjustment is ok and I have
checked the linkage adjustments referenced in the manual.

The original carb. works fine a far as choke operation goes...

What am I missing??

Kerry Born

1964 Spyder convertible...