<VV> Radio (won't fit)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jul 17 23:30:17 EDT 2007

The stock GM (Delco) Brand radio has ~ 1/2" shafts, however the tuning
shaft is longer and the radio front sits back from the faceplate about a
1/2". This is because the rear speaker fader control ( on those cars so
equiped) fits on the tuning shaft. On 99% of the cars, this is just
empty space as they do not have a rear speaker... So, there is a blank
to occupy this space. It looks like a large ~ 1" washer that is 1/2"
thick, with lots of holes and made out of sheetmetal.

So, the stock Delco radio takes a stock Delco style radio adapter
hanging below the dash. This adapter has a ~1/2" hole for the volume
shaft, and a ~ 1" hole for the tuning shaft. The above spacer fits in
the 1" hole and the 1/2" tuning shaft fits in the spacer.

You do not have a Delco style radio adapter, or someone has filled in
the 1" hole on your adapter to match the small diameter tuning shaft of
the Realistic radio. This adapter mounts with three screws/nuts and is
easy to change.

Frank DuVal