<VV> visually identifying a transmission

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Jul 20 08:51:24 EDT 2007

61 to 65 manual transmissions are very different 3 speed to 4 speed.

3 Speed: Top removable cover. Shorter housing than 4 speed. No back up
switch, nor hole for one.

4 Speed: Side removeable cover. Longer than 3 speed. Back up lamp switch
screwed into bottom of trans near shift selector.

If any of your differentials have the u-joint yokes attached with a
bolt, they are late model car differentials. They also have flats and
holes where the strut rods attach.

An early differential with one flat spot on the bottom and two holes is
a 64 car and 64/65 FC differential. This is where the 64 car transverse
spring fits.

66 to 69 3 speed vs 4 speed, there is only one bollt difference IIRC.
These are larger castings than the 60 to 65 transmissions.

Frank DuVal