<VV> new lifters...

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Jul 20 11:12:29 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/20/2007 4:50:48 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
mark at noakes.com writes:

Clarks  said NOT to prime it. Directions on the box said to follow
directions that  came with the lifter...which were none. If I adjust per
the 65 manual's  cold adjust procedure, won't this cause problems
immediately after  startup?  Granted it should pump up fairly soon,
but...

Mark,
I see that you are getting different opinions on this, but my recomendation
is to ALWAYS prime lifters. Here's why. There will be no oil going to the
rocker  box from that lifter until it is full of oil. Now I know that there are
five other lifters supplying oil there, but maybe this one is supplying oil to
a  specific portion of the rocker box and without it doing so for a while you
could  be wearing something up there. I don't agree with the no prime theory
since you  want to get oil up to the rocker box as soon as possible after
starting the  engine. Priming is required in the 65 shop Manual and for sure causes
no  problems. So why not do it and be safe.

You can easily prime a lifter by using a trigger-squirt can with the tip
inserted into the side hole on the lifter to force oil into the lifter. Soaking
lifters does nothing to prime them.

Also I don't recommend trying Chuck's method of looking for oil to come out
the pushrods. The problem here is that oil trying to leave the lifter and pass
 up the pushrod REQUIRES the inertia of a lifter in motion. If the lifter is
stationary (eng not running) then the oil pressure just forces the metering
valve up against its seat blocking the oil flow to the pushrod.

Take a lifter apart and see how it operates.

Regards,
Bob Helt