<VV> Lifter operation

Bernie Livengood bernielivengood2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 11:23:52 EDT 2007

All hyd lifters work the same way!  There are (3)three
basic types.  Ball, disc, pin.  Back in the mid 1950's
I had the privlage of attending many technical
mechanic classes provided by the different
manufactures at the selected dealerships ie
Ford,GM,Chrysler,international,etc. with my father who
was a master auto mechanic with a GM dealership at the
time. One such class was on hyd lifters. GM was having
issues with hyd lifters in the early  V8 cadillacs,
oldsmobiles, Buicks and then just released Chevy SBC.
This class lasted about three hrs. It covered how the
lifters were design to function, how they worked, and
repair and overhaul of the lifers and what to lookout
for. The class was hands on! Yes, hyd lifer overhaul
was a routine thing back in the day. That was my
training on hyd lifers and all the years experience
since.  Bob Helt has described the workings of the hyd
lifer exactly right.  The proper method lubing and
pumping up (bleeding) is samerged in oil, a proper
actuating tool (pushrod)and the clearing of bubbles in
the oil surrounding the lifter. Another way is
intalled in the engine and pressurize the oil system
and slowly rotate the  engine until you see a study
rate of oil from the outer end of the pushrod.  There
you have it Gentlemen!  Make use of it and get on with
it!   Bernie 45+ yrs in aviation and automotive
maintenance
--- BobHelt at aol.com wrot.e: