<VV> Lifter operation

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 22 12:25:09 EDT 2007

The issue that's not being mentioned here is that the Corvair lifter is on
it's side.  When the oil flows into the "botom" chamber, the air has to come
out.  If has to go into the "upper" chamber and be flushed away by the oil
flow "up" there.  The problem is, that isn't "up" there - it's "over' there.
The air has no place to go.  The openings are through the checkvalve and
through the clearance between the lifter body and the piston.  The piston
clearances are long, really tight, and full of oil - the air has a tough
time pushing out there.  In the standard SBC orientation, the "bubble" of
air is up by the checkvalve, and can leak past the seat pretty easily.  In
our engines, the checkvalve is covered well before all the air is out.  This
is why it's so hard to get our lifters pumped up.

When we're driving the pump with a drill, it is basically impossible to fill
the lower chamber.  If we get the oil up to 30 psi, then we can squeeze the
air volume down to 1/2 its original size (and the lower chamber 1/2 full),
but that's all.  Both "exits" for the air are at the same pressure as the
trapped air, so it's not going anywhere.  When we stop pumping, a little of
the air might escape.  If we cycled the pressure a number of times, we might
get most of it out, but we'd have to let the lifters bleed down between
cycles, and we don't have enough patience (or beer) to do that.

So, if you want your lifters pumped up quickly, do it before you install
them.

Roger