<VV> Lubrication Changes

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 02:30:58 EDT 2007

"I did find some moly assembly lube at a local speed shop...been
looking for an excuse to go visit their new building anyway.  My
biggest concern wasn't the priming issue; it was the new lifter on the
old cam and potential wear damage issues.  Lotus restorers have been
reporting weird and fast cam lobe wear when putting new flat tappet
lifters on old cams when following factory installation procedures that
have been good forever, and no one seems to be completely sure what it
going on yet so I was a little spooked...something appears to have
changed in lubrication."

It is called Zinc, as in ZDDP (zinc dialkyl dithiosphosphate) -- there's a lot less of it in the newest CJ-4 oils while some of the older SM -- something about air polution, maybe a diesel thing.  Yes, there is considerable concern about it among some old car enthusiasts, and possibly such concern is warrented, or not, depending on who you want to believe -- Big Oil or private research.  As a reference for the latter, read the entire page, the info one may be interested in (test results) is below what appears to be the first page break:
     http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

PS: GM's EOS additive has been recently discontinued ...

Bill S