<VV> Hemmings car show(s)

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 23 11:14:16 EDT 2007

 I just returned from a 3 day Hemmings outing in Vermont. A nice gathering and drive up from Bennington to Stratton Mtn. on Friday. Quite well organized. Saturday there were approx 250 cars in attendance. No tubbed out Novas or Cameros. Virtually every car/truck was quite pristine. No junk any where.

   Cars from the 20's through to a few into the very early 80's. Virtually every make was represented. There were 3 Corvairs. The '60 that is on the cover of Hemmings, a '62 and my '69 Fitch. The '60 had a coil fail, my stash of spare parts brought it back to life, so the owner could continue his weekend of fun.

   Sunday was an invitation only, and some of the best cars from Saturday + were in attendance, many truly Classics were displayed from the brass era and, old Caddys, Lincolns, Buicks. LaSalls, Auburn etc. A really nice display. Took 100s of pictures.

   No I was not a winner on Saturday, They gave one trophy for each type of car, like Chevy, Plymouth, Ford etc. My Yellow Fitch drew a lot of visitors, some knew what it was and others were dumbfounded. "Duh! What is it?" I finally developed a short spiel to explain the history. Corvairs/John Fitch/R. Nader etc. One of the savvy Hemmings editors asked a lot of questions, took notes and pictures. I let him open doors, get if he wanted etc.

   I stopped to Visit Cotrofeld Automotive on Friday and Saturday. Tim showed some of the restorations that he finished, wish I could afford that level of excellence. Had supper with Cathy and Bill on Friday and caught up on current events.

   The Fitch ran well for a 500 mile weekend, there were NO hills it could not take in 4th (3:55 and 205-13 tires, it averaged 21 mpg. Not bad for highway cruise at 3500 rpm=65 mph. I think it runs a bit hot, as the unreliable temp gage read 325 at highway speeds and about 300 in the mountains.  I'll be looking for a good temporary guage to verify.

   It is difficult to set the timing as it currently is set at 8 degrees with no vacuum, but occasionally will ping very little with the vacuum attached. Engine is not stock, so experimenting is necessary. It also trys to run on after shut off, so I just stall it when turning off the key.

   Hope all attending the National have a good safe experience, Way to go Cookie Monster!

MIKE KOVACS