<VV> lifters...

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Mon Jul 23 22:29:31 EDT 2007

I've continued to dig around on info for the lifters as to what/why.

Federal Mogul/Sealed Power won't talk to consumers...only vendors.

I pinged Clarks but I think they went to the convention so some of you
may have better luck than I till they get back

However...

I found this on the Crane Cams web site:

Do Hydraulic Lifters Need to be Primed with Oil?
Many people mistakenly believe that hydraulic lifters must be soaked
in oil overnight and be hand pumped up with a pushrod before installing
into a new engine, however this is not necessary. In fact, this could
cause the lifter to act as a solid and prevent obtaining proper
preload. What is very necessary is the priming of the entire engine’s
oil system before starting up a new engine for the first time. This is
done by turning the oil pump with a drill motor to force oil throughout
the entire engine. Crane Cams offers oil pump primers for Chevrolet and
Ford engines.

http://www.cranecams.com/?id=3&show=faq

On a few hobby forums (Chevelle in particular), I noted similar
comments about damaging the cam because the primed hydraulic lifter
acts like a solid...nobody explained why it was fine when that was
acceptable practice for decades though.

Digging around on sites referencing Sealed Power lifters and priming,
I got the impression that they were afraid people would over do it and
damage something in the priming...though I forgot to save the specific
link.  It's hard to imagine that someone priming a lifter would put
more force on it than a valvetrain in use though...maybe off axis
alignment matters?

The car appears to be running fine so I don't think I hurt anything
starting it on one unprimed lifter, and the purpose of the moly was to
keep it till things came up to pressure; I didn't mean to create a
ruckus over a few questions.  I think I'll lay low for a year or two...

This is just a placeholder engine anyway.

Thanks for the input,

Mark Noakes