<VV> Who needs pylons?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Jul 24 15:28:52 EDT 2007

At 04:46 PM 7/20/2007, D. Barry Ellison wrote:
>I was in Mexico this past week.  I happened to catch a blurb on the
>news that was obviously a very, VERY low speed autocross at (what
>looked like) a Chevy dealer parking lot.  They had the lanes lined
>in white so no one could get lost.  Although most of the course
>markers were indeed pylons, some of them were just old tires!
>
>Who needs pylons?

I recall back in the Dark Ages here in town, when autocrosses were
run at the mall parking lot down the hill from my place.    They
marked lanes with a baseball field baseline chalker...  just push the
little wheeled cart loaded up with powdered chalk around the course
to make lane lines, worked out nicely.

Maybe they just had a shortage of pylons.

They DID have some cinderblocks that marked the outside limits of the
actual course, with cute little flags sticking out of them.    A '60
Corvette lost it sufficiently so as to slide all the way off course
and into one of those cinderblocks, cracked a  big chip off one of
the alloy wheels on the car.   'Vette pilot kept running through the
day, with a chunk the size of a ballpark frank gone from the rim of
the wheel.    Corner workers gave him a wide berth when he came by.

I often wonder why more autocross courses (at least around here
anymore) aren't chalked like that...  looks like it would prevent a
lot of people from getting lost.

tony..