<VV> 110 Head Work

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Tue Jul 24 23:39:41 EDT 2007

Ok, So I started off just going to minor overhaul a junkyard 110 I picked up.
Of course it has delved deeper, and postponed the 140 I was working on.
With the heads I want to do the following and have some questions:
How far can the gasket step be milled before running into interference with the
spark plug (and be able to have a decent quench).  I have had it removed on
140's and 95's but not on 110 and it seems bigger.   I will also be using
dished pistons to keep C/R sane, shooting for true 9 to 9.5.   I know usually
it is preferable to use 95's but I have these, and they are in good shape.   I
will also have the chambers and piston tops ceramic coated.  Ok actualy I just
got the materials and will try the ceramic coat myself.

Can anyone tell me how much needs to be removed from the exhaust tube area to
put in 140 tubes.  I.E the size that needs to be bored to to fit them - in
exact measurement? The stock tubes are trashed and I have a variety of 140
tubes. Can a normal machine shop do this with tools they have?

Need to find a shop  willing to do the machine work, or else I will have to
send them out.   Otherwise how can this be accomplished?

Thanks
Geoff Johnson