<VV> Waterford Report

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 01:07:11 EDT 2007

Today was the track event at Waterford Hills. The day started out with some
potentially bad weather, but never amounted to more than a few drops on the
windshield. The track was very cool, challenging (at least for this rookie),
some elevation changes and plenty of fun.

Started out with a twenty minute track session for three different groups.  I
was in the last group, so I got to watch the other guys run the track first.
When it was finally our turn to run, I started out slow, maybe max speed
around  60-70, just to get familiar with the track layout. The elevation changes
and  turns resulted in a couple of "blind" turns. No problem after a couple
laps. I  sped up after a few laps and started to try different things, braking
later,  taking different lines through turns.

After the 20 minutes were up and we all got off the track, it was time for
open track. Anyone could go out and practice. I went out several times (Duh,
who  wouldn't?) to practice more. It was so much fun and my car was running very
 good. I only stopped when I got thirsty or started to make dumb mistakes.

Finally the time runs came, for all the money (not really money but  bragging
rights, which can be much more valuable). They had just two cars on the
track at a time and well spaced so each had open track. We ran 4 laps, warm up,
two timed and a cool down. I felt my laps were good but not my best of the day.
 I managed to finish 2nd in SM. Bruce Carlton had FTD beating Michael and
then  Warren.

The NECC ran a very smooth event. There were everything from very nice bone
stock cars to all out race cars in the event (a few water pumpers too). I
think  every one had a great time, I know I did. After all that fun, Warren handed
out  his Tweety awards. Bruce got top Tweety for FTD, Jim Dallas got Tweety's
Choise  for showing us all that he still likes to race in the dirt, and I
even got a  Tweety for Fastest Street Driven. That was the perfect end of a
perfect day. I  should be back on Earth sometime in November.

Tomorrow is the GM Tech Center and Heritage Center,

Ned