<VV> Stale Gas Questions - Some Corvair

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 21:49:49 EDT 2007

Bob,
    Best thing is to siphon all suspect gas out of the  tank BEFORE it does
any more damage and BEFORE adding any good gas to it.   After you get out as
much as you can, disconnect the fuel line from the carb,  add fresh gas with
isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) to absorb the water  condensate and an carb
cleaner (like Chevron Techron) and flush out the  lines and the pump until the gas
flows clean.  Then rehook up the line to  the carb and try running the engine
again.
    In YOUR case you'd better siphon out ALL the  gas (old + new) and start
over.
    By the way, what do you mean by methyl  hydrate?  Do you mean methyl
alcohol (methanol, CH3OH?)  The  isopropanol type of gas additive (like "IsoDri")
is much better and less  corrosive.
    Good luck!
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 7/25/2007 10:16:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,