<VV> No Brake Lights UPDATE

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:57:11 EDT 2007

Matt-
I think this is normal. If the sockets are not grounded they will try to
ground thru the wire that is not powered at that time. That is why the rear
lights go wacky when they lose their ground. Don't worry, be happy! The
brake lights are now working.
Ed
>Matt wrote:
One mystery remains. The fact that test results were  different with bulbs
in the sockets vs. empty sockets.  Today with a meter,  I confirmed that
when
the bulbs are installed ( but socket not grounded/ not in  the housing) and
only the brake element is receiving full 12v, I  get a weak voltage reading
of
about 3v at the taillight wire as well. put  in both bulbs and it doubles to
6v.  Enough to weakly light the TAILLIGHT  elements. Pop the sockets into
the
housings to provide ground, and only the  correct Brakelight element is lit
and
no more voltage reading at the  taillghts. Sockets are clean and undamaged,
bulbs are new; so bulbs are leaking  some voltage between their elements?
And taillight circuit is finding a ground somewhere else in  the car under
those conditions?
Is that normal??<