<VV> Electric cooling fan results

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 16:21:10 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/29/2007 11:59:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ronh at owt.com
writes:

Looks like the results are just what one would expect from the design
information.  I noticed that that electric fan car didn't participate in
any
of the tours at the Portland meet and that said a lot all by itself.

RonH

Unfortunately, Ron, that is the same "empirical" evidence that caused all the
differences in "opinion" that the scientific evidence of the instrumented
tests finally put to rest. It doesn't matter if "it worked for me once" or "it
didn't work for me once". What matters is that the tests showed that, on a stock
engine, the proposed design couldn't cool enough to keep up with the heat
input - at more than about 40 mph. Not to mention hills or other heavy loads. The
electric fan I am looking for, and I know there are several others who would
be interested in it, would be a motor drive that would spin the stock fan (or
a re-designed mechanical fan) at the optimum RPM for cooling. It would have to
do that without adding too much weight - BUT - it would only have to do it
for about 5 minutes at a time (Think an autocross run or two). I also wondered
whether another gas motor - small, maybe something like a weed eater or chain
saw, could power the fan at the optimum speed - or close enough. Now, that
would attract some attention. Before beginning your runs, you walk around to the
rear and pull-start your cooling fan drive engine. Or, better yet, have a
starter drive sticking up through the deck lid and use a wireless impact wrench to
start it. Cool! - Seth Emerson