<VV> convention07

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Jul 29 17:45:15 EDT 2007

We just got back (Sunday evening) from the convention to our home in SE Virginia.  We weren't as car-lucky this year as last.  On the way out our starter quit.  A local good samaritan helped us get it started and we continued on.  We stopped in Dayton on the way and I went through the CORSA guide to find help and on my first call I hit paydirt.  Thanks to Sid Roth for fixing up my starter problem and welcoming us into his home.  On the way the engine also picked up a lifter tic that it has kept.  I had a couple of experts (Mel Herwald and Russ Davis) check it out and they assured me I'd be fine.  I was still concerned but still a little worried.  The car ran fine all the way home, but it still clatters.  Guess I'll be changing the lifter soon.

I spent most of my time at the convention location either wandering around the vendors or in the pool.  We couldn't get in the host hotel but they had set up a deal with the host hotel for us Corvair guys for cheap week long pool passes.  My 10 year old son loved it.  The only convention thing I did was the car display and the Heritage Center visit.  All I can say is fantastic!!   It was wonderful having the GM people come by and look at our cars and it was a fun place to see the cars.  The heritage center was mind blowing.  All those sweet cars.  I had to pinch myself when I saw the Monza GT in person to make sure I wasn't dreaming.  I couldn't get over how small it was.

I didn't do as much socializing as I would have liked.  It always seems to go that way at shows.  Corvair people are nice but if they don't know you already, most of them don't really welcome you in.  Mel Herwald is the exception to that of course.  I did get to meet a few more cyber-friends in person though and that's always fun.

If I go next year I'm flying, no driving all the was across the country for me.  I'll have to see if anyone out there will rent me a Corvair.

We took lots of pics which I will post soon.  I took a lot of wheel pics for Ray.

mikeh
Tidewater VA