<VV> Electric cooling fan results

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Sun Jul 29 20:11:38 EDT 2007

    There is something that got my attention on the electric fan testing: <<The stock fan is rated somewhere around 1400 CFM at an engine speed  of  4000 RPM, while many electric fans are rated at a much higher CFM.  This leads  one into thinking that the electric fan might flow more  air.>>
    Yes, much higher CFM but, not enough pressure as I suppose, by the results, is needed on a Corvair engine. I deal frequently with water pumps (a fluid like air is) and this lead me to an analogy. We can get a high pressure-low volume pump or a low pressure-high volume pump (with the same HP motor) depending on the needs. By the testings, it seems like the Corvair engine doesn't need more than the stated 1400 CFM but, considerably more pressure to make that air volume passing  thru the rough cooling fins on the engine.
<<...there was a lot of air reversion  through the electric fan  when it was running statically. In comparison  the stock fan had NO air reversion  through the fan.  Even with  the electric fan and the air doors  open, there was still air reversion  back through the fan. Not as much mind you,  but there was still air  reversion.>>
    So, two toughts come to my mind:
1.- Changing the fan for a type (I know nothing about fans) that could give more pressure at say the 1400 CFM with the same electric motor.
2.- Working on the engine (readed something about this on a previous message) to give more area for the air to pass thru, like thinning and smoothing heads and cylinders fins.
    Didn't read a word about plenum air pressures. Do they were measured ?
    Thanks a lot to Bob Helt, Ken Hand and Frank Parker for their money, time and work on making this test that could lead to get more efficiency and performance to our old engines.

    Daniel Monasterio