Alternates Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jul 30 13:59:16 EDT 2007

At 02:57 PM 7/29/2007, FrankCB at aol.com wrote:

>To give us an idea of just how much electric  current is needed, 14 hp is
>equivalent to about 10-1/2 KW.  If we try to  draw this much from a 12 volt
>battery it will equal a current flow of almost 900  amps.  This is
>probably about
>FIVE times what the Corvair starter draws

Just FYI...  a friend and I were playing around with some of the
things he uses at work (maintenance on locomotives for
Norfolk-Southern RR) and he had an ammeter that used shunts for
scaling that would go up to 1000 amps in stages... we used the 100
amp shunt and just for funzies we put it inline with the battery in
my 140 hp ragtop.   The meter bounced up pretty high when the starter
first engaged at the beginning but while continuously cranking the
engine (with the coil wire off) the starter was drawing ~58 amps
while battery voltage was hovering around 10.5-11.

It doesn't take that much to crank a 'Vair engine in decent
shape.   This is likely how I got by with running a lawn & garden
tractor/lawnmower battery ($17.95 at Wal-Mart) in my Spyder for two
years Back When on a lark when the type-51 batteries were selling for
50 bucks and I was between paydays and a cheapskate to begin
with.   The mower battery fit the battery box easily and it had
plenty of current to crank the hell out of a Corvair engine.    Just
thought I'd mention it.

Now, powering an electric fan hard and fast enough to adequately cool
an air-cooled engine is another matter entirely.

tony..