Alternates Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 17:57:36 EDT 2007

To give us an idea of just how much electric  current is needed, 14 hp is
equivalent to about 10-1/2 KW.  If we try to  draw this much from a 12 volt
battery it will equal a current flow of almost 900  amps.  This is probably about
FIVE times what the Corvair starter draws so  how long can the battery supply
this much current?  With the Corvair  alternator supplying about 37 amps, for
every ONE MINUTE we run the electric  fan, we have to run the alternator TWENTY
FOUR minutes or even more since it has  to also supply other electrical needs
at the same time (like ignition).
    Seems to me it would be much better to fabricate an  electric clutch to
be able to engage and disengage the stock fan as needed to  keep the temp under
control.
    Frank "sparky" Burkhard

In a message dated 7/29/2007 3:54:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,